Cycling In Hungary
Cycling in Hungary is simply fantastic.
only 10 million people and only approx 1 million cars most roads remain
Cars still remain relatively expensive and with 40% more sunshine than
the UK a large percentage of the population still ride bikes. The government
has invested millions of pounds in off road cycle paths.
Just like the UK clearly sign posted cycle routes exist and range from
the 140 mile trek around Lake Balaton to the 3 mile cycle route around
town through to the more strenuous off road sections through beautiful
forest trails and unspoilt countryside.
can be hired from outlets all over Hungary.
The Lake Balaton cycle route is famous and represents a challenge for
the more serious rider. Approx 140 miles around the “Hungarian Sea”
– Central Europe’s largest freshwater lake and over 40 times
the size of Lake Windermere but with an average depth of just 3.2 metres
the summer water temperature rises to approx 28 deg C and is on a par
with the Caribbean.
an off road cycle route around the entire lake we recommend you undertake
a 7 day cycle tour which passes through the many holiday resorts dotted
along the Lake Balaton shoreline. Suitable for all ages and with no more
than 33 miles of riding per day on low gradients the tour enables you
to see the wonderful Lake Balaton area at a slow pace.
the southern shore it is flatter and has lovely beaches and from there
you can see the wonderful sunsets behind the hills on the northern shoreline.
The famous vineyards are on the north shore, famous for its meadows, forests
and ravines. At Heviz in the north west corner of the lake you pass alongside
Europe’s largest thermal spa where the water temperature is in excess
of 33 deg C.
There are two tours during 2009:
Depart Saturday 5th June arrive back Friday 11th June.
Depart Saturday 25th September arrive back Friday 1st October
Price per person in Double Room 682 Euros
Single room supplement Euro 114 Bike Rental 48 Euros
Day 1. - ARRIVAL TO BUDAPEST. –
- Individual arrival in Budapest.
- Transfer to hotel in central Budapest.
- Meeting with the tour guide in the hotel.
- Tour discussion and briefing. Dinner.
Day 2. - ALONG THE SOUTHERN SHORE OF THE HUNGARIAN SEA.
- Bus transfer to the south side of the Lake Balaton (approx. 1 hour)
- Handing over the bikes, adjustment and start.
- You cycle on the flat south lakeside.
- Panoramic view and chance for swimming on the way.
(Stage: 31 miles / 50 km)
Day 3. - THE CAPITAL OF THE BALATON ON THE WEST SHORE.
- Cycling on the south lakeside and swimming if possible.
- You cycle first towards the northern shoreline and then to the “capital
of Balaton” – Keszthely.
(Stage: 31 miles / 50 km)
Day 4. - TWO WONDERS: TAKING A BATH AND CYCLING.
- We recommend to do a walking tour of Keszthely and/or to make a short
bike trip ( 5 miles ) to the thermal lake of Hévíz where
you can enjoy Europe’s largest thermal lake with a water temperature
of (33 deg C).
- Early afternoon we start riding again along the northern lakeside,
passing by some amazing dormant volcanoes, splendid panorama and wonderful
(Stage: 19 or 28 miles / 30 or 44 km)
Day 5. - ALONG THE NORTHERN SHORE.
- Last chance to take a look at the tuff organ pipes on the Badacsony
- Continue towards Eastern and the peninsula Tihany ahead of us. The
peninsula is very rich in sights and attractions.
- After Tihany the final 5 miles before we arrive in Balatonfüred
(thermal-spa resort). There are 5 springs and also a beautiful park
located near the harbour.
(Stage: 33 miles / 52 km)
Day 6. - FROM NORTH TO EAST SHORE.
- Our last cycling day. Cycle along the northeast corner of Lake Balaton.
- The Holy Right Chapel with its gold mosaics is located in Balatonalmádi.
- During this stage you will pass by an impressive yellow soil wall.
We say goodbye to our bikes in Balatonakarattya.
- The transfer bus is ready to take us to our hotel in Budapest. (1
- Goodbye dinner and accommodation in Budapest.
(Stage: 23 miles / 37 km)
Day 7. - After breakfast individual departure or stay
extra nights in Budapest at additional cost.
- 6 Nights B&B, accommodation in comfortable hotels or guesthouses
in double or twin rooms with private facilities (shower / WC)
- 6 days half board
- Transfer according to program description with private coach (Budapest-Balaton-Budapest)
- Service bus following for luggage transport from hotel to hotel
- Special bike transporting trailer for the bicycles and spare bikes
- English speaking guide during the whole tour
- Carefully selected routes.
For more information please contact us.
Cycling in Hungary is fabulous and for those that own property
in Hungary participation can be enjoyed on a regular basis. Check
out how low cost properties are in Hungary – this way you can enjoy
cycling and at the same time watch your investment grow in value.